Meanderings of the Mind

Breathing is all it takes to be a miracle. --from the movie Garden State

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States

I was recently relocated to Chattanooga by the Postal Service due to the closing of the Remote Encoding Center I worked at in Bowling Green, KY. I had just started my first semester at WKU majoring in Nursing. Since I had recently built a house, my options were to get a lower paying job and lose my house or to move and rent my house out until I have my degree. I chose the latter. I've travelled throughout Europe with my friends and sisters which I consider the highlight of my life experiences to date. I come from a family of 6 kids--4 girls and 2 boys ranging in ages 18 to 34. Only my youngest brother is married at this point.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Pros and Cons

I have only 5 weeks and 1 day left in this semester. Or to be more exact, I have 3 clinicals, 11 lectures, 10 exams, 2 critiques, 1 case study, 1 research proposal, and 1 presentation left in this semester.

The weighty decisions I must make at the end of the year seem to loom ever larger.

I plan to practice for two years before I make a decision about going back for my master's degree as a nurse practitioner. The three choices I'm seriously debating are 1) staying here for 2 years, 2) moving to Nashville which is only 40 miles from home, or 3) moving to Harrisonburg, VA. Each has it's benefits and it's drawbacks.

On the pro-Chattanooga side, I would like to work at the local hospital because I'm already familiar with it. It has 7 ICU's, as well as multiple floors which would give me plenty of areas to choose from. It's also connected to the Children's hospital if I should decide to go in the pediatric direction. Yet, it's not so large that you need a map to find your way around. Ok, so maybe I did get a little lost initially and still do when I have to venture into a new area. I would also have the advantage of having a relationship with all the nursing school professors which would give me an edge for being accepted into the nurse practitioner program. Since I'd actually have some free time after I graduate, it's a happening place in which to do things I haven't gotten to do yet. I've got some great friends here with whom I'd love to spend quality time. I've got a fairly nice apartment in a good location for a decent price.

On the con-Chattanooga side, there is no Mennonite church nearby, and I'm so ready to be closer to my "own kind." I can't hang out with my family very often. The pollen here is the second worst in the country making it a detrimental place for allergies.

On the pro-Nashville side, I would be closer to home and my family since it's only 40 miles away. I could apply to get into the practitioner program at Vanderbilt as soon as I chose to because they accept you right out of nursing school without any experience. They have many different practitioner specialties to choose from. Plus, they've already sent me recruitment letters. Vanderbilt hospital would pay for 70% of my tuition if I worked there while going to school. Appealing to my prideful nature is the prestige associated with going to Vanderbilt.

On the con-Nashville side, it would be a pain having to drive 40 miles to church. It's a bigger city, thus, bigger traffic issues to deal with. I hate the thought of having to find an apartment and I really dislike moving. The 30% tuition that I'd have to come up with is a ridiculous amount--approximately $30K for 1 year. I'd be right back into the disheartening stressful life-situation of working and going to school at the same time. And I'm just a little bit afraid that if I get that close to home, I'll get stuck in a rut and never leave again which is not my ultimate goal.
On the pro-Virginia side, I would be closer to my one and only niece. It would be sort of venturesome to move somewhere where I don't really know anybody which sort of appeals to me. I'd be more motivated to achieve my goal to travel to distant places around the globe since I wouldn't have those strong family ties holding me back.

On the con-Virginia side, I would be far away from the majority of my family. The cost of living is higher in Virginia. I hate the thought of having to find an apartment and I really dislike moving. I haven't really looked, but I'll bet I'd have to pay state taxes. It's really scarey to go into a new Mennonite community when you don't know anybody.

Oh help, what am I to do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home